Saturday, August 2, 2008

Hibiscus experiment

Just a little hibiscus painting I made as an experiment with transfering an image with the grid method. Using the picture of a flower on my hibiscus tree. (It´s only 15x15 cm.) I did this picture in a few stages. Since I started out with a canvas that I had painted on before, it already had a darker background. And when painting the lines of the flower I did it with white paint to get the lights, so I kind of got a black and white underpainting. Then I put it away and let it dry for a month or so. Today I took it up again and started filling in the hues (Madder Lake Deep, Burnt Sienna) and the darks. Then I went into detail with the darks and lights, making it less flat and giving it more volume.

After that I painted over everything around the flower with a dark sepia paint and with the paint still wet I mixed in white and indigo to get some texture and light in the background as well. Now I hope this will dry in time for my grandmothers 80th birthday!

Here are some pictures of the process:

2 comments:

Albatross said...

Nice work Nina. Great to see the progression of the painting. I left a link for your page here at the subsymbolist forum < http://subsymbolist.lefora.com/2008/07/29/ted-talk-on-memes-by-blackmore-memetics-and-consci/740403/ > Have a look. I'm helpin' out with the site too.

Albatross

Ambera said...

very lifelike!