Saturday, August 30, 2008

New job and recent paintings

Oil on canvas, 3st 10x10x4 cm

This week has been full of new impressions and changes since I just started my new job this monday as an intern at an architecture office. I got to start one week early since they had so much to do there, and that worked out fine for me.

After we came home from Gotland I had been practicing some new techniques with my aquarelles that I brought, and I´m starting to like it more and more. But I can never really keep away from painting in oil for too long, so here are some new ones I´ve been painting on recently.

I added color on the three landscape pieces (above) last week and I´m really happy with the result in color! I did it over and over a few times to get the color I wanted. It turned out to be a mix of Paynes Grey, Yellow Ochre and Burnt Ochre, in various proportions. The sky is Payne´s Grey (my new favorite blue color!) and white, with the reddish under painting showing through.

Oil on canvas, 40x40 cm

Here is another recent one. I was experimenting with the light and the texture of the field. Colors used are Indigo, Payne´s Grey and Burnt Umber in the sky. And in the field: Indian Red, Burnt Umber and Indigo.

4 comments:

Christine Mercer-Vernon said...

hi nina, thank you for visiting my blog, you are now officially bookmarked so i can keep an eye on your progress! these are great new paintings. i particulary like the new 40x40 (how come you don't title them ), you really handled the light well. payne's grey ad burnt umber are two main staples in my palette.

Nina Aidas said...

thank you christine! :) you´re welcome to check back in!

yes you´re right, i should probably start naming them. sometimes it´s difficult to know when the painting is done and ready!

Lily Pang said...

The three landscape looks so beautiful, although I cannot see the details. They are nicely together.

The new one is very pleasing. Indigo and Indian Red are all my favorite colors.

Jennifer Phillips said...

Very nice Nina... Your triptych has come along nicely! Unlike mine, yours have a nice feel to them because the image wraps around the sides! I like it!