Saturday, August 9, 2008

Trying to get back to drawing


Since last week I decided that it was time to start drawing again. I have been painting so much that I thought I shouldn't forget about drawing. And also because I really want to apply for an architecture scholarship that I found out about, where you have to send in pieces of your work (only black and white!).

Then hopefully I can do a field trip around Europe next summer with the purpouse of learning more about building houses in an enviromentally friendly way. That is something I unfortunately haven't paid much attention to in my three years in architecture school. And it's surprisingly not really a big matter in the education so you sort of have to specialize in that yourself. So I thought it was about time for me to put some focus on a really important topic like that.

I began drawing without a real purpose, to take some pressure away and get the process started. Did these sketches of my livingroom just for fun. And even though the apartment was kind of cluttered at the moment, it was fun because there were just more objects to draw! Makes it more interesting with all the details, like a random still life. And imagine a photograph of the same thing, that would not say anything at all, just that I have a messy apartment.


But I couldn't keep myself from painting for long, I found this really inspireing article about underpainting and the wipe-out method on the blog of Jennifer Phillips. And then I was boosted with creativity for the rest of the day to paint and wipe out rolling landscapes with only one "color". Just playing around with the shapes, compositions and especially the lights and darks, I was really enjoying myself. (Obviously influenced by Jennifers works.) Couldn't really get the best underpainting mixture so I ended up mixing all the "earth tones" on my palette to use them up. So now it kind of looks like I was painting in chocolate, but I like it. Will be interesting to see if I dare put some paint on top of this. Oh and also, I painted on this 3d-canvas for the first time so I made the landscape go around the edges too, in case you see it from the sides.

Three 10x10x4 cm - oil on canvas

Also I took out an old moleskin book full of my drawings from Portugal to inspire me to draw again. We went there first year of school in 2006. Our teachers gave us all a book and said as a joke that we had to fill them. But me and a friend were up for the challenge and really pushed ourselves to fill every page. And it looks really nice when you pull out the pages like an accordion and look at the drawings all together. Unfortunately I can't find this type of moleskin book anywhere, so I hope they didn't stop making it.



Going off to the island of Gotland now for a week, will hopefully come home with more drawings and photos of reference for painting!

No comments: